Good news yesterday that our workshop abstract for the Cochrane Canada Symposium was accepted! This year’s symposium theme is Early Exposure to Cochrane: Accessible, Credible, Practical. Our topic (see below) is one that will hopefully spark some interest and some great discussion and practice at the symposium. Leading up to February, we’ll obviously be interested in gathering some sources and opinions on how others use social media for evidence-based practice, so please get in touch with your thoughts if your have ideas or suggestions!
“Using Social Media to Promote Evidence-Based Practice: A Primer on Blogs, Wikis & Twitter”
When / Where: Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver, BC. February 16-17, 2011.
This workshop provides an overview of three popular social media technologies, blogs, wikis and microblogging (e.g., Twitter, Yammer). The authors will show where to locate medical blogs and wikis on the social web and the type of information that can be found there to support evidence-based practice. Through a mix of didactic lecture, hands-on practice, and group discussion, this workshop provides an entry point for social media beginners.
At the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Understand blog, wiki and microblogging tools and how they are used in medicine
- Have some basic knowledge of how to select one of the social tools examined to support evidence-based practice and medical education
- Identify major blogging and wiki platforms to create accounts, new content and social networks
- Be able to assess issues of privacy on various social media platforms
- Contextualize workshop information for personal use in practice, research and continuing education
Dean Giustini, UBC Biomedical Branch Librarian, Adjunct Faculty, SLAIS
Francisco Grajales, Trainee, Western Regional Training Centre for Health Services Research
Daniel Hooker, Researcher, eHealth Strategy Office, Faculty of Medicine
A practical session that combines lecture, live demonstrations and practical exercises.
Participants can bring their laptops and mobiles. Internet access will be provided.
Level of knowledge required
Some awareness of social media and basic knowledge of the web.